Monday, February 16, 2009

Most Beautiful Surprise Ever

Aside from you, of course baby.

On Valentine's Day Daddy gave me the most wonderful, unique surprise. I actually didn't think we were doing anything for the day. I should have known though, because last year he surprised me by taking me to an awesome penguin benefit at the Fort Worth Zoo, and that was pretty incredible and tough to beat. But because we are conserving resources and have had a lot of expenses, I thought maybe a card. I had purchased him some fun presents, like CD he has wanted (Faith No More: Angel Dust), a sea urchin looking candle holder, crossword puzzles, and gone about my merry way. Well my presents seemed so small compared to this huge stunt he pulled off...

He told me that he had to work all day on Saturday but that we would be going out to dinner at 8. So I go about my day and get ready for dinner at 8. Well at 7 pm he comes in and says he will be going in and out of the house. At this point I start piecing some of it together: he mentioned when we first moved in that one day he was going to set me up a surprise dinner at the top floor of the parking garage. This doesn't sound exciting....but the top floor is completely isolated, it is like being on the roof of a building, with no cover. You have 360 degree views of downtown that any restaurant would have paid top price for. So I am thinking, "aw he made me dinner up there and we are going to go up and eat." I was right in part...

So he knows that I know about this part of it....but I was truly unprepared for the magnitude of the event. We walk out the door and I see his car parked near the corner. I also see a woman sitting down on a stool against the wall. "Oh are there other people here?" I ask, concerned. "Don't worry; it's ok," he consoles me. As we start getting a bit closer the person on the stool starts to play this incredible violin music. I pause for a second, completely stunned...then I see the car has yellow tape attached to it, blocking off the corner of the space. And inside of it is an entire gorgeous dining set-up. Tables, chairs, candles everywhere, red roses and roses petals, cloth draped across the edge of the wall the table is against. It was so incredibly beautiful that I, not being a big crier, started to cry a little just looking at this and seeing how he created this entire beautiful scene from a slab of concrete and a corner. He had made this all for me, out of nothing, and it rivaled the fanciest restaurant I had ever been to, exceeded it by miles. From the chicken we ate to the square plates and their bamboo mats we ate on, to the beautiful candles and their holders, to the actual table and chairs we sat at, he had picked out every single piece. Yes, I am proud to say we are the proud owners of a kitchen table now! Haha. We ate there with the magnificent view, with the beautiful violin music, and Daddy sat across from me, looking nervous in an effort to make this perfect for me like a kid handing his mother a flower he'd plucked from the garden, and told me, "I promise to always do things like this for you." Halfway through dinner these two red heart-shaped balloons were released somewhere below and flew right over our table! He said he paid some kid to release them but I am skeptical:)

I still can't believe that such a perfect night that required so much thought and planning and love was pulled off like that, so beautifully and so lovingly. With every detail and ingenuity in place. I really think it was the most extraordinary thing anyone has ever done for me. Certainly the first time just the mere sight of someone's efforts have made me cry. I am just such a lucky girl and I am so excited to have you, Holden, in my tummy. Half of Daddy and I's love and the best of who we are. You are going to have so much fun with us. The only thing I am worried about is how he is going to top this with future surprises. I literally might melt into a puddle of girl.

Here are some pictures and video but it was so dark it was hard to get a good shot:





Love the caution tape hahaha!


Nerds at table!


Our beautiful setup.


Happy Kelly


And for some other videos/pictures of late:

Chris's Amaretto Birthday Cake I made Him and Song (my favorite part is the "Sprouticus" shout at 3 seconds!)



Cabbage Patch Miette



Miette caught in a lascivious act


Ok This picture totally cracks me up with the red laser eyes bc Chris was on the phone with our Chinese delivery man who seriously could not find our place and it took the guy 1.5 hours and a conversation with the strip bar's doorman to finally get us our food.



Crashed out cat.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Awwwww! That is so sweet...I'm so happy you have each other.

I love it! What more can a girl ask for then to see her friends in love and living the dream!!!! Hell yeah.

Ps- miette is so weird- she stayed so still during the diaper pinning....